Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Kenyan Safari Recap

Now that I've unpacked my boxes and cleared a bit of space on my kitchen island/table I can finally concentrate on burning DVDs of the 1,300+ photos from my trip.

Each time I show someone my photos I get warm and fuzzy inside thinking of the amazing experience, and just how fortunate I am to be able to have the time to travel, and have the means to travel.  I don't spend much on Entertainment per month, on average about $50, but I do sock away a minimum of $250 per month (see budget here) for travel, and I think it's worth every penny.

Here's a rundown of the trip:
What: A 9-Day (7 full day) camping safari in Kenya.  One of my three dream trips (the other two are to the Galapagos Islands and Antarctica....strange in some people's eyes, I know).

Where:  The trip began in Nairobi. We then drove to Samburu National Reserve, to Nakuru National Park, to Masai Mara National Reserve, and back to Nairobi.  We stayed in each of the parks for about 2.5 days.  In Nairobi we stayed in a hotel, and in each of the Parks/Reserves it was tent camping.  Samburu was VERY basic camping....no electricity, long drop 'toilets', dinner by fire, cold showers.  Nakuru was a giant step up with hot showers, dinner in a rustic hall, electricity in the evenings (perfect for charging all of our cameras), and plumbing.  Masai Mara was a much more upscale campsite with beds rather than sleeping mats, more vegetation/gardens in the site, indoor dining, plumbing, and hot showers.

When: I departed from Toronto on December 17th.  The first night of the tour was December 18th and the last morning of the tour was December 26th. I stayed in Nairobi doing additional sightseeing until very early December 28th.  Arriving back in Toronto late the 28th.

Who: I travelled on my own, but was with a GAdventures (formerly GAP Adventures) tour. The average size of the group for this tour is 10 with a maximum of 14 people.....we were 6 - a perfect amount in my eyes!  There was me, a family of three from Edmonton (age 16, 42, 42), a 40-year old from San Francisco, and a 23 year old student from Saudi Arabia studying in the UK. In addition to ourselves we had a Chief Experience Officer/Guide Daniel, Driver Peter, Cook Isack, a supply truck driver, and assistant cook who were different individuals throughout the trip.

How: Details on how I paid for this trip are found here!  My 2011 tax refund is slated towards paying back into my RRSP Home Buyers Plan, a couch, and Emergency Fund, so no repeating that trend this year!

Now, to the good part....a few of my favourite photos from the trip!





6 comments:

  1. Looks like you had an amazing time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. I am so jealous of you! That is amazing, glad you had such an incredible time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Great pictures! I am sure it's an experience you will remember for the rest of your life so it' definitely money well spent! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! I did a safari tour in South Africa, saw four of the big five (didn't see a lion)! I was told that it's more rare to a leopard than a lion and I was one of the few who saw it on my tour. I was more stoked about it than the guys who saw the lion. It was definitely one of my most memorable trips!!! My next big will be the Galapagos and Machu Pichu...within the next 5 five years. Happy Traveling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are fully Lincesed by the Kenya Ministry of Tourism and Wildlife, this obligates us to observe strict code of conduct designed to ensure that members trade honestly and professionally at all times.
    We have our own fleet of vehicles which means our clients get cheaper rates.We have negotiated with hotels, tented camps and lodges in Kenya safari and Tanzania to offer you the best rates.

    ReplyDelete