Friday, February 3, 2012

Free Ottawa - Winter Fun

Now that I'm finally into the condo, have unpacked every box/suitcase, and I'm settled in nicely, I am no longer filling my evenings and weekends with organizing, furniture assembly, or massive cleans.

This is my first winter in Ottawa and I'm definitely going to take advantage of some free activities and attractions (I may need to invest in some equipment to start) around the city this winter.  Over the past week I've done some recon on what's available and here's what I've come up with!
  • Gatineau Park - Ottawa libraries will loan patrons day passes (7 day loan period) to use at Gatineau Park for cross country skiing - value of $14.  I've been looking into getting a used pair of cross country skis. 
  • Skating on the Rideau Canal or Rink of Dreams - Just need to borrow skates from a friend or purchase used.
  • Winterlude - This year's annual festival begins today and this weekend I'm taking in the ice carving competition.
  • Dows Gallery - outdoor space on the Canal where youth express themselves through art.
  • Bedzzz Annual Bed Race - Speaks for itself....a race on beds!  Teams outfit their colourful and decorated beds and race through a course on the canal (Feb. 4th).  Funds raised through team entrance fees goes to The Kiwanis Club.
  • Self Guided Maple Tour - Fulton's Sugar Bush offers free self guided tours, in addition to their fee-based activities such as sleigh rides and the pancake house.
  • Rideau Hall - Residence and grounds tours and skating (reservations required) are free! 


What is your favourite free winter activity?

No comments:

Post a Comment