Monday, March 12, 2012

Personal Finance and Netflix!

I signed up for a free month of Netflix in February and have definitely been making use of my membership -- hello, 7 seasons of Big Cat Diaries!!

Lately though, I've been delving into the Documentaries section of the movie library and have enjoyed a handful of personal finance-related videos, although generally speaking they're all US-based, I've still taken away great information.

Here are a couple that I've really liked thus far (along with the description provided by Netflix):
1. Maxed Out (2006) - With sobering facts, this thought-provoking documentary unveils the consequences of Americans' collective addiction to plastic debt -- including its contribution to the vanishing of a once-robust middle class. Investigating personal debt, the U.S. government's out-of-control national debt and those who prey on the poor, this film explores the staggering financial burden people live with every day, which has driven some to extreme action.

2. Inside Job (2010) - From filmmaker Charles Ferguson comes this sobering, Oscar-winning documentary that presents in comprehensive yet cogent detail the pervasive and deep-rooted corruption that led to the global economic meltdown of 2008. Through unflinching interviews with key financial insiders, politicos, journalists and academics, Ferguson paints a galling portrait of an unfettered financial system run amok -- without accountability. Actor Matt Damon narrates.

After watching Inside Job, I have a better understanding of the circumstances that led to the economic meltdown in 2008 and am even more thankful to have kept my wits about me when having purchased a home I could actually afford and not 'taken advantage' of being approved at such ridiculous levels -- my income is $40K/year....I could have purchased a home valued at $250,000 with 10% down, NO THANKS!!


Can you recommend any good PF-related films?!

4 comments:

  1. I don't know of any PF related films but I LOVE NETFLIX. I've been watching Mad Men non-stop!

    ... and I have no idea what Big Cat Diaries is???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well for one, I LOVE Netflix. I just discovered a bunch of shows by signing up for the free trial, and I am about to start my first paid month in a week or so. I think it is so worth it.

    During the free trial, BF and I have watched The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and Supernatural. These are all TV shows and we are HOOKED!!!! I think you will like Breaking Bad as it deals with money, but for entertainment purposes - The Walking Dead is REALLY GOOD!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Netflix. Thanks for the recommendations - I am definitely going to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Bridget - BCD is a British documentary/tv show where families of lions, cheetahs, and leopards are followed over the course of something like 2 months in the Masai Mara (one of the parks I went to on safari!)

    @ shoppingtosaving - I haven't seen any of those shows, but I'll definitely give them a try!

    ReplyDelete